There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Established in 2010 Verity La is an Australian on-line creative arts journal, publishing short fiction and poetry, cultural comment, photo-media, reviews, and interviews. As it says on the mast-head, bravery is essential in the Verity La neck of the woods, which means creative risk-taking, freedom, and – above all else – being no one but yourself. We are interested in new voices, different voices, progressive voices; we like writing that gets you in the head as well as the gut, that has a point, that isn’t afraid. Whether it’s fiction, poetry, comment or review, we want high-quality text, and by ‘high-quality’ we mean thoughtfully composed, a focus on words, words with impact.
How to get published in Verity La:
- submit your best work, work that even you as the writer – or artist – is excited about
- writing for the online environment means that you’re competing against an infinite amount of other stylish and interesting sites – aim to engage your readers within seconds. How to do this? Do it dramatically and succinctly.
- edit your work, and edit it again, and edit it one more time; make sure that you search and destroy every typo, including punctuation errors – a misplaced apostrophe is like grit in the eye
- include a simple covering email, which should briefly state your writing background so we know where you are coming from
- it may take up to three months for us to read your work and consider it for publication. If we don't get back to you within that time, feel free to query. Heaven knows we're only human and work can slip through the cracks.
- and of course, subscribe to the journal (it's free, and you'll get a sample of our ebook anthology, The Hunger!) so you know what sort of work we’re into
Read our general submission guidelines here. Really, read them! They're designed to help. Plus, click on the links below to view the more specific guidelines pertaining to your submision. We only accept submissions during March and August. There is a maximum of three submissions per person during each reading period. We DON'T accept simultaneous submissions. But we do promise to respond to your submission within three months of receiving it.
Verity La publishes in the following streams:
- Arrests of Attention: visual art
- Being Sure: creative non-fiction
- Emerging Indigenous Writers Project
- Being Sure: creative non-fiction
- Clozapine Clinic: writing engaging with experiences of individual and societal madness
- Discoursing Diaspora: a platform for work addressing issues of displacement & social justice
- /dɪsˈrʌpt/: a platform for D/deaf and disabled artists
- Heightened Talk: high-octane poetry
- Lies To Live By: short fiction
- Out Of Limbo: new creative writing from the GLBTI communities
- Rogue State: bold non-fiction
- Slot Machine: performative text and spoken word
- TWT: Travel/Write/Translation: travel writing with a twist
- Lighthouse Yarns: interviews with writers, artists, thinkers and despots. If you'd like to submit an interview please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Through the Looking Glass: reviews of literature and any other types of creative practice. Contact email@example.com.
We don't have oficial word-limits. Hooray for us and you! But we find up to around 5000 words suits us best.
Note: as of February 2019 all published works will receive $100 payment. Our thanks to Australia Council for the Arts for their support. Our editors continue to work in a voluntary capacity.