There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Established in 2010 Verity La is an Australian on-line creative arts journal, publishing short fiction and poetry, cultural comment, photo-media, reviews, and interviews. As it says on the mast-head, bravery is essential in the Verity La neck of the woods, which means creative risk-taking, freedom, and – above all else – being no one but yourself. We are interested in new voices, different voices, progressive voices; we like writing that gets you in the head as well as the gut, that has a point, that isn’t afraid. Whether it’s fiction, poetry, comment or review, we want high-quality text, and by ‘high-quality’ we mean thoughtfully composed, a focus on words, words with impact.
How to get published in Verity La:
- submit your best work, work that even you as the writer – or artist – is excited about
- writing for the on-line environment means that you’re competing against an infinite amount of other stylish and interesting sites – aim to engage your readers within seconds. How to do this? Do it dramatically and succinctly.
- edit your work, and edit it again, and edit it one more time; make sure that you search and destroy every typo, including punctuation errors – a misplaced apostrophe is like grit in the eye
- include a simple covering email, which should briefly state your writing background so we know where you are coming from
- it may take up to six months for us to read your work and consider it for publication; if your work is published elsewhere please let us know
- please do not chase us up – this only distracts us from the main task, which is reading the work submitted
- and, of course, subscribe to the journal, so you know what sort of work we’re into.
Read our general submission guidelines here. We ONLY accept submissions during the months of February, May, August and November.
Verity La publishes in the following streams:
- Lies To Live By: short fiction
- Being Sure: creative non-fiction
- Novel Excerpts
- Heightened Talk: high-octane poetry
- Discoursing Diaspora: a platform for work addressing issues of displacement & social justice
- Clozapine Clinic: writing which engages with experiences of individual and societal madness
- Arrests of Attention: visual art. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Out Of Limbo: new creative writing from the GLBTI communities. Send to email@example.com
- Black Wallaby: emerging Indigenous writers’ project. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org
- TWT: Travel. Write. Translation. Send to email@example.com
- Lighthouse Yarns: interviews with writers, artists, thinkers and despots. If you'd like to submit an interview please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Verity La Reviews: reviews of literature and any other types of creative practice. Contact reviews editor email@example.com
We don't have word-limits. Hooray for us and you!
Note: as of February 2017 all published works will receive $50 payment. This is due to the generosity of our amazing private supporters, via the Australian Cultural Fund.